twitstamp.com

follow Tommie on twitter

Friday, March 09, 2007

As Van Halen Turns

(by Sal Cirrincione, Premiere)

Eddie Van Halen has finally come clean on why Van Halen's reunion with David Lee Roth has been "indefinitely postponed" -- he's headed to rehab, reportedly for alcoholism. Yesterday afternoon (Thursday) he released a statement to fans that says, "I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110-percent that I feel I owe you and want to give you."

The statement continues, "Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I'm doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of. I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart. Love, Ed."

While Eddie works at getting better, David Lee Roth has decided he will not attend Monday night's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in New York. He has opted out after the Hall of Fame declined to have him, Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony sit in with Velvet Revolver, who will perform a tribute to Van Halen. Roth tells the L-A Times, "It just not an option for me to go and watch some other band -- who are only performing because they have some new record coming out -- do our music. I have nothing against Velvet Revolver -- I'm not familiar with their music -- but that was my three minutes and 22 seconds up there. [It] rips my heart out."

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame president Joel Peresman said in reply, "We had tried for weeks to be able to have a Van Halen performance by any incarnation of Van Halen. But when we were told that could not happen, we turned to the fantastic Velvet Revolver who we felt could best represent the spirit and music of both eras of Van Halen. It would not be fair or appropriate to represent Van Halen by just one of their members performing. We will keep a seat open for David should he change his mind."

We've also heard that Velvet Revolver considered backing out when they were told that Eddie and Alex Van Halen were not attending. Calls to Velvet Revolver's management have not been returned.

So Van Halen will only be represented by Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, who toured together last year as The Other Half.

Labels: